More correspondence from the "bigger" wigs

Received a few more replies from those who I contacted, from the names given to me from the previous two researchers I had contacted.  Both are from UC Davis.  Here are their responses...

From Dr. Ashwood...

Dear Erika,
Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, we know so very little about the relationships between behavior and immunity are. It is an expanding area and we are starting to understand some of the neuro-immune interactions a little more. I think treating the immune issues in autism would be important. However, I am not a clinician so that opinion is one of a basic scientist. So far clinicians have generally stayed clear of trials on immune suppression or immune modulation. I know of some studies on steriods, IVIG and anti-TNF that looked promising in pilots but were not replicable. However, I think the issue is that ASD is very heterogeneous and therefore making sure the right individuals that are recruited into such studies is very important. It sounds very much like your son would benefit from seeing a pediatrician that is an immunologist. They then could treat the immune aspects which I believe would also help the behavioral aspects. For example the MD could recommend therapies for the eczema and Vitiligo.
I am sorry I cannot be more help and unfortunately I am not aware of any pediatric clinical immunologists in your area.
Best wishes,
Paul
Here is an email from Dr. Van de Water...
Dear Erika,
Thank you for your interest in our work.  I certainly does sound as if your son has immune dysregulation issues.  Keep in mind that I am not a clinician so I cannot really help you with the clinical aspects of your son's concerns.  However, people working in the field such as Dr. Sue Swedo at NIH who specialize in this area.  IVIG may be helpful, and I am wondering how your son does after antibiotic therapy, which is a classic PANDAS treatment.  

I am sorry that I cannot be of more medical help to you, but will think about people in your area that might be of more help to you.

Best regards,
Judy

So again, no answers...but another lead.  Add it to the list of things to do for this week. :)  Next appointment with immunologist #2 on Monday!

Comments

Popular Posts