soft souls

I attended a conference awhile back on Sensory Integration Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorders.  The speaker encouraged us as parents and therapists (which I was the only dual parent/therapist attendee) to schedule playdates often and search for soft souls.

Soft souls are gifts from God that have compassionate hearts to those with special needs.  I was definitely a soft soul growing up, and still have a heart for kids that need a little extra help (as defined by my career choice). 

We have several sets of friends who have soft souled children- and one in particular has recently shown such heart for Hunter that it melts my own.  Precious Molly made a story for Hunter (shown below) to make him smile.  Hunter has a book of social stories that he brings to class everyday, and I am assuming she was thinking about the book. 


titled: Hunter and His Hair. Ha! Time for a haircut.



We picked Molly up for school two days this week, and Hunter was SO excited- smiled so big at her when she got in the car, but became very shy and looked down after giving her a big grin.  He wouldn't use words, but you could tell he was about to jump out of his five-point harness. :)

Molly's mother went to pick her up at school early yesterday and she watched the kids play on the playground for a few minutes.  She called me because she had to share the following sweet story.  Hunter ran up to Molly and pointed to an area, and they both ran to the playground and played for a few minutes, tried to climb a tree, and another activity that I can't remember because I was so excited to hear this progress.  As she went to get Molly from the playground, Hunter told her, "I'm going to write a letter for Molly to come to my house."  So sweet!  And amazing progress!

all his words, and his own sig and drawing
When I picked Hunter up from school a few minutes later, I asked him who he played with at recess (a question I ask him daily).  He said, " I was playing all by myself, but then I found Molly.  I spotted her, Mommy."  I continued to ask what they did, and his usual answer of "everything" came out, but he then said, "I am going to write Molly a letter.  Can she come to my house to play? We need to have a playdate (something he heard Molly's mother say)." 

This morning, Hunter had me write this letter which he signed:


Today, the ABA therapist's note indicated that they played hide and seek and on the tire swing for 20 minutes.
All of the time and expense spent on therapy is so worth it when these huge steps are made.  We are going to try to pick Molly up during the week every so often to encourage the relationship and give Hunter the confidence he needs to go and ask a friend to play. 

Thank you, God, for bringing these soft souls into our lives.  Hunter has surely been blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts