Schedule tweaking and Definitve Data

The last few weeks have been a roller coaster.  Two weeks ago, I sat in Hunter's IOP with his lead therapist and complained that he hadn't progressed since starting it in January; he had only regressed.  Strep in February led us down a long, tiring, frustrating, exhausting road and we are finally coming up for a breath after seven weeks post-infection.  Even though today on the car ride home from the doctor, he did ask me 32 times if he could play with my phone. Sigh.

Looking at the data from his in-home therapists, each goal had a significant dip in the progress reports.  At our team meeting, they asked me when he got strep.  February 18th he was diagnosed, and the dip started his next session on 2-21.  Each and every chart had the same, drastic dip.

His IOP therapist suggested to tweak his schedule a bit, to cut back on things he was doing.  In discussing it with her, I realized that we had expected Hunter to heal from his infection, but we didn't give him the chance TO heal.  I brainstormed all day about what to take out of his crazy, busy schedule, but I couldn't justify taking anything away.  Peter and I talked that night and we thought about the most stressful situation for him, and it was clear as to what we had to do: take him out of the private preschool.  Even though he was successful prior to getting strep, even though we love, LOVE, love his teacher and the peers in the class, even though that school has been home for the past four years, we knew that we had to make a change.  He would attend the district program all five days, only three hours each day. 

The next day after his Easter party, I talked with his teacher and the preschool director and they were very supportive of our decision and I hope truly knew how gut-wrenching it was for us to make the decision.

The IOP, which I had started to resent due to the regression, had opened my eyes to the logistical nonsense that Hunter was dealing with, changing schools, going to various programs, everything I felt (and still feel) that he needed to assist with his recovery.  However, when you are sick, your body needs to heal...and all of those schedule changes and a demanding schedule did not allow for healing.  Before I drove to the Easter party, with talking to his teacher weighing heavy on my mind, I checked my email.  The IOP had emailed me and told me the news of his next neurology appointment with Dr E, not Dr G.  I smiled ear to ear and was so excited...about to call Peter and then my phone rang.  Even though it was a recorded message, it was the Archbishop of Dallas calling to wish me a beautiful, renewed Easter holiday.   Even if it wasn't the man himself, I couldn't believe the timing.  Somehow, I felt like we were making the best decision, with a little guidance from above.

He has been in the district program exclusively for the past two weeks and I really feel it is making a difference.  He misses his friends and his teachers, but his behavior has improved and we are seeing changes.  The staff at the school is truly incredible.  And most importantly, he has a little more down time at home with me and his in-home therapists, getting the rest that he needs.

Praying for the next two months to show no more regression, only improvement. 




Comments

Popular Posts