VACATION Part One

We take an annual trip to Wisconsin- the weather is beautiful, and we get to visit with our family and friends.  We are always an interesting spectacle at the airport.  I have competed in the Half-Ironman triathlon the last few years, so traveling with our three suitcases, my big bike box, the three kiddos,  and all of our carry-ons is sure to bring some gazes.  And not to mention, our morning started at 4:30 with Peter running the airport with the bike and the suitcases, and then coming back to get the sleepy kids. 
Or not sleepy at all-check out the excitement at 5:30 AM (Paige was up at 3:30 because she was so excited).
waiting for the express bus

look mom- no seatbelts!

watching the planes

the bike made it...but the suitcases didn't!
Our flight was great- no issues, great behavior...just wish our suitcases hadn't been left in WI!  We ended up getting them back later that night- whew! 

After an exciting reunion with our family, we had a yummy lunch and everyone took a nap- parents included! 





 Then we headed up to see my brother, Greg, who had surprised his new fiancé with an engagement ring (with help from Ursi, the dog)!


Baby CamCam


 



Aunt Gretchen

All the girls





here's the reason Hunter is so tall...Uncle Greg, 6ft5


engaged!  tiff and greg
After the engagement celebration, we went to our alma Mater, Marquette University...so many great memories and it was kind of surreal walking around the campus with our three children.:)
 
Cudahy, where Peter and I date studied



 


 
St. Joan of Arc Chapel- doors were locked.








Spent many a days in here for my major

rec center

 
Peter and I actually had a class together here our freshman year, but didn't know each other
 
Sunday was my half-ironman race.  I had been hurting pretty bad the prior week- sore shoulder, bruised heels...I always get pre-race jitters and something always hurts.  We took the kids to the beach for a practice swim on Friday and to play in the water.  However, the water was 55 degrees!!  I had my wetsuit on and all and froze.  The jitters increased by 50%.  I was trying to think of excuses not to race.





just a little windy- gusts were up to 40mph


 The next day, Peter spent the morning golfing with my dad and later we had to check my bike in so Hunter went down with us to the lakefront.  Then we headed to a birthday party and the kids had a blast swimming with their cousins.


 
 
 The kids were tired and all were dressed in their jammies early...love our cousins Logan and Kamrynn!

 Race day morning...Peter dropped me off at 5:30 AM to prepare for the 7:20 start.  The sun had just started to rise- the lake looked beautiful!  And what a relief to hear the winds had changed directions, so it dropped to under 10 mph AND more importantly brought warmer water to the surface- the lake was at a solid 64 degrees.  Definitely more manageable. 
 However warm the water, it didn't make up for the waves that were crashing.  A friend who competed as well said she heard the lifeguards pulled 150 people from the water.  I swam a mile race in Hawaii and the waves in Lake Michigan were 10X bigger.  Glad I am a swimmer- I felt so bad for those doing their first open water race in those waves.


the longest 1.2 mile swim ever!


Paige made me signs for each part of the race:)

Hunter was running to see me come in from the swim

starting the 56 mile bike






this fireman does the race every year and walks the 13 miles in his full outfit, boots and all.

my mom and the kids waiting for me to finish

yay!  13 mile run completed!


love my support crew!

 
Overall, the course was great and although I didn't get a PR (personal record), I did complete it- 6 hours and 20 minutes.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the transition area this year (13 minutes!), so I could have shaved a lot of time off there.  The race was not easy, but every time I felt like I could give up, I heard Paige's voice telling me, "You HAVE to finish Mommy!  You can do it! You will get a medal!" :)
                                     Wore my blue racelet tank for Hunter- Light it up Blue!! 

I'll continue the trip on the next post- Peter and I left for Florida later that day and the kids stayed at the grandparents house for the next five days- and they did great!! 

Comments

Popular Posts