merry everything

I went for a run on Sunday- first time in awhile, due to foot issues.  Turned on my Pandora, and every song that I have listened to during this journey came on the station, one right after the other.  Help Me Find It, Never Alone, Today, Never Once...every song with the same message rang loud and clear:

All things are possible if you believe.

If you stay focused and determined.

If you continue to pray.

I revel constantly this season- for too many reasons to list.  It goes from little things like a quick email from a teacher.  A purple day on his school calendar.  Turning off the TV the first time I ask. That sweet smile I get as he teases me about something that I said.  It's the loving hand on my back, as he says, "Of course, Mamm."

And then it is the big things.  Sitting in the reverberating gymnasium, actually cheering his big sister on at her first basketball game this season.  Last season, I would have been hit and he would have rudely demanded the iPad.

Using his words to express emotion, telling me, "Mommy, when I gave Scout (our neighbor's dog) his present, it made me feel so happy."

Staying in the gym for an ENTIRE spirit assembly.  
Trying the middle school band performance.
                               
 Participating in his class party.

 Seeing his precious artwork...hanging next to every other neurotypical child in kindergarten.



Playing bingo with his rotating group.
Four times.


 Making cookies with his group.


love this teacher!!

 And finally crafting an ornament that will hang on our tree and remind of me the year that he started truly recovering.

 Smiles and hugs from his teachers...

the incredible teacher who has been in the trenches with us- and is now seeing the sucess

And walking out of his big boy school holding his little brother's hand.  
And this time, instead of Peyton leading him, Hunter is proudly leading Peyton.
 

I cannot even begin to think of how to thank all of the people who have gotten us to this point in our journey.  We handed out teacher gifts Friday, but those small presents were just a mere fraction of the love I share for them.  

We met with Dr. G on Friday, since we were denied IVIG continuuation (which is typical- they expected it to go to an appeal or peer-to-peer).  It's funny- I used to cry upon receipt of those letters, but after winning coverage last year, I now know the secret- 
stay hopeful.
Dr. G was very impressed with Hunter's conversational skills, his eye contact, his happy nature, his willlingness to interact, his school notes- and of course, my parent report.  He said something that has left the biggest imprint on me, though.  As I was questioning the treatment path, the future, tackling my list of questions- focused on trying to discern if the changes were truly due to IVIG or maturity, and he said, 

"At the end of the day, am I going to pat myself on the back and tell myself I was a genius for this treatment plan?  No."

"Are you going to pat yourself on your back for following the ABA protocols?  Yes.   You have to remember that all of these factors are contributing to the success you are seeing."

IVIG started us in the right direction.  As Dr. G predicted in one of our first meetings, he said that treating the post-infectious encephalitis would assist Hunter in his ability to learn.  His therapy would make sense quicker, we would reconnect those pathways that were broken back so many years ago.  

And it is true.  I told him on Friday that the change that has made the biggest impression on me is his ability to learn.  Quickly.  Without struggle.  And the changes remain instead of dissipating.

In healing Hunter, we have found the pathway that just makes sense.  

For all of us.  

We are so continually blessed.  I talked to an old friend today, who has been praying daily for our family, and she said, "Erika, you sound so good on the phone!"  When you go through the trenches and you come out with a champion, how can you not exude happiness?

I can't deny my extreme gratitude, adoration, and optimism for our future with this son who is beating Autism.  

So this Christmas holiday, I don't just say, "Merry Christmas."

I say "Merry Everything."

Here's a few more pictures from our busy few weeks.  
See you in 2015.

Paige's holiday party



 Christmas Pictionary

second grade winter performance.  



Charity event- movie and activities
 Penguins of Madagascar
 Santa was waiting when we exited

Cookie decorating!  The name of the game is how many candies you can get on one cookie.
yummy GF gingerbread, recipe courtesy of Grandma Sue

How can you say no to this face??


 


Art project time!




Peyton's class party!




  
Visiting our neighborhood Santa...one of the things I love about this town!









 

Several houses in our area go all out- trains, light shows to music...amazing.





Science Experiment time with a fun book from Grandma Sue!
 


Playing "Christmas" as Hunter calls it- and this boy reads every question to us!



warm fires



Watching the Portable North Pole messages of Naughty or Nice from Santa himself!



Neighbor's light show with hot cider and cookies







Gingerbread House making!





Ready to show us the surprise finishing touches...






MERRY EVERYTHING FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!


Comments

Popular Posts