Monster Trucks, Snow Days, and Stuffed Animals

That title is the most random compilation of items- but I couldn't find a creative way to link all of the latest pictures! We have had a fun extended weekend.  A big storm system was expected in our area, and we joined the entire city at the local grocery to prepare for the storm.
That weekend, we had tickets to see a Monster truck rally.  Peter had suite tickets, so we thought Hunter would be able to handle the noise, but it was WAY too loud.  He had been so excited about the show, but about five minutes in, broke down in crocodile tears.  We even purchased special noise cancelling headphones, but he was a mess.  
I told him I would take him home, but he didn't want to leave.  We sat in the suite, then we went in the hallway, then we stood in the kitchen...he would pull it together, but then fall apart all over again.  Finally, after running out of the suite when I turned away to talk to Peyton for a second, I just made the decision for him.  We were done.


He wanted it to work so badly.  His behavior, though, was not typical of his usual non-compliance in overwhelming situations.  He was crying so hard, and squinting his eyes...I believe there are decibels that are truly painful for him.  It was torture seeing him WANT to enjoy the show, but he couldn't tolerate the pain.  We don't use the word "hate" in our house- I told the kids it is a strong word, when they asked why it was a "bad" word, since all the kids use it at school.  That night, Hunter said for the first time, "I HATE THIS!"

As soon as we exited the suite floor, he turned back into my sweet Hunter.  Smiles, hugs, and then, sadly, "Mommy, I'm sorry I got upset.  I'm sorry I didn't like the monster show."

The poor kid thought we were mad at him for not being able to tolerate the show, or not "liking" it.  Again, Autism stole his voice.  He thought he had to apologize for his own opinion.

Our weekend was extended when ice/sleet made the roadways too slippery.  The kids asked to do school, so of course I obliged!
Then we turned it into a fun writing game.  Paige started with, "Go eat my feet" and then they each took turns writing silly phrases to one another.  Super task for Hunter to create and sound out/spell all the words.


Hunter wanted to continue the holiday and write another Valentine to me...
and then he worked on his real homework, writing 1-50.  Although as he started, he kept going- all on his own, he filled up the paper- to 72!
Then Paige helped me do some birthday party prep for Peyton's upcoming Lego party...

and played cars with Hunter over an hour.  That's a super big sister!
We made some homemade granola...
And then Paige stepped outside to play in the ice/snow with friends...

Peyton was so excited to make and throw real snowballs at me!
 Forgot to put these on the last blog- he made the "teeth" wall for losing a tooth at school!

 Last night, as I checked on the kids before going to bed, I had to run back downstairs and grab the camera.  It was a simple reminder that our kids stay little for only so long- so besides capturing these sweet animal snuggles, I was blessed with that tap on the shoulder to remember to enjoy every little moment! And PS- I didn't put the two older ones to bed with their animals- they did that on their own! There were no animals in the bed when I turned off the light!

 



Comments

Popular Posts