Limping Across the Finish Line- Crazy May

Today I packed one of the last five lunches of the school year- not sure if that makes me the most excited, or the fact that our children have completed another successful year of school!

It has been FOREVER since I have blogged.  There have been many reasons: full calendar, the to-do list that never ends (for some reason, every extra special day at school, every dollar you have to send in, the meetings), and one of the main logistical reasons: Peyton has broken up with his nap.  Today is a special circumstance, since he was up at 5:45, had a swim lesson, played with our sitter while I worked, and went to a meeting with me at school.  I put him down, and haven't heard a peep since.  I love this quiet time to catch up on writing, reports, housework, cleaning...so I am going to take advantage of it today.

In fact, the last time I blogged, Paige had strep yet again.  She has fully recovered (we hope!) and I haven't seen any tic like blinking that I had observed with her most recent acute infection.  Hunter did amazing throughout the course of her illnesses.  We had little bouts of regression, but nothing he didn't overcome, and definitely not anything we couldn't handle.

I went along on a recent field trip, and he 1) rode a bus, even after I had come to the classroom 2) walked around for almost THREE hours outside, with unbelievable humidity and in a group of four 3) didn't ask once for my phone 4) limited his conversation about Lightning Mcqueen 5) and the finale...he went back on the bus, after being with me for that entire period, and waited in line with his friends until the buses arrived.

I was blown away.  Sometimes, I just love his honesty.  All the children were tired and hot by the time they started a little "lesson" about nature, and he walked away from the group, grunting, and said loud enough for all to hear, "I'm too hot and sweaty for this!"  I was SO with him.

We just had a meeting at school to go over more recent assessment.  His IQ scores were not as high as they previously were, but several factors were involved (material is harder, the test they chose needed complete sentences for credit to be given- no partial credit even if the answer was correct, etc).  I was so happy, though, to have a baseline, a number for us to work at beating over the next three years when his next evaluation will take place.

His reading score was 131 (85-115 is average) and his math score was at 100.  His biggest struggle remains to be his writing, and even though he is an excelled reader, the comprehension and recall of material is a target for this summer.

As I sat in that meeting today, I couldn't have asked for a better team of professionals to be working with our son.  We briefly talked about the beginning of the year, and what an amazing transformation it has been.

I have a lot of emotions watching this child of mine graduate from kindergarten this week.
Happiness for how far he has come.
Relief for making it through the entire school year.
Anxiety about having to change teachers.
Gratitude for the many people who have touched his life in so many ways this year.
Worry about the skills he will need to be successful in first grade.
Hopeful for continued growth.

And just blessed.

SO . VERY.  BLESSED.

God throws these wrenches in our lives, and the race is often times daunting and seemingly impossible.

However, even if we stumble across the finish line, we still have made it.

So even though this last month of school might not have been freeze-frame perfect, we will finish school on Friday with our arms raised in victory.

TAKE THAT AUTISM!






 Warm, spring days with this little one!

this kid loves his legos...most recently, building "robots"


Brothers Bonding


 ACES day at school- All Children Exercise Spontaneously (that's Hunter in the blue shorts on the left!)

Farm Days at school

 Peyton's Rodeo Days at school


 Daddy's birthday.  We like to make a big deal out of this guy's day because, well, he's a big deal to all of us!  We let him sleep in till 9 (even though the kids asked every 30 minutes if they could wake him), made him breakfast burritos, and then I took the kids to the pool so he could have a few hours to himself- that was his request- he wanted to watch golf!  We made him a cookie cake (for his love of chocolate chip cookie dough) and of course, everyone wanted to help with the candles.



all my loves in one sweet picture

One of Paige's last games, before her softball and soccer seasons were rained out

 Mother's Day...they spoiled me!





"She doesn't like when I talk about cars."  HA!


this is how he greeted us as I was putting Paige to bed one night.  

Hunter's quilt from school- signed by all his buddies!

Daddy was confirmed- such a meaningful Sacrament.  With his supportive, amazing sponsor behind him.
Our family is SO blessed with our small group church family.


and these kids sat front row with relatively little noise

the ladies of our small group, minus one

our little celebration after- peter and I missed the silly face memo









Comments

Popular Posts