Are we smarter than a first grader?

We had Hunter's annual IEP meeting yesterday to discuss goals, progress, and accommodations in the classroom.  I used to lead these meetings when I worked in the school district, and it still kills me every time I hear, "Hunter qualifies as a student with Autism." 

I have to do a pinch to realize they are talking to me. 

Yes, I know he has Autism.  Yes, it has been five years.  Yes, he meets the behaviors consistent with the diagnosis.

But no, this is NOT what I had ever envisioned.  Myself as the parent in the IEP meeting, not the professional.

So as we went throughout the bullet points and Peter and I sat there, listening to his strengths and his struggles, my heart was tugged all over again.  Every year we are reminded that our son is in special education;

that he needs accommodations and modifications to make it through a typical school day;

and that he has Autism.

We are so thankful for the staff that is invested in his education, and they don't lack empathy in the least bit-

but these formal meetings just confirm that this is the life we are leading.   This stack of paperwork is stamped with the unfortunate occurrences that ended up with encephalitis. 

And this encephalitis led to Autism. 

At the end of the meeting, his brilliant classroom teacher handed us a packet.  It was a collection of drawings and stories from his classmates, as he was "King of the Day."  Each student is allowed to stand in front of the class and be interviewed, and share all of their favorites. 

Instead of reading what was wrong with our child, as we had just done minutes prior,

we read everything that was right.

21 pages of beautiful, insightful, and intelligent observations and drawings about our son.

My favorite is below: "Our cool king is Hunter today.  He is so cool.  He is kind.  He likes Cars 2.  He is the best."


These first graders don't need an annual meeting to tell us about our son.  It was all here, illustrated on paper for us to read and soak in.

Our son, the one who "qualifies as a student with Autism," is cool.

He is kind.

He is the best. 

I have prayed so long and so hard for these words to come from 7 year old children.
 






And I offer a big TAKE THAT, AUTISM...

with 21 pages of proof.
 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts