Bumps in the road- First Grade challenges

Hmmm...I am not blogging like I had been!  I have a no-napping, extremely busy 4 year old, and had a big community project that I will blog in a later post that wrapped up last weekend.  But I am going to promise myself that I blog at least twice a week.  I am losing my online data base!

First grade started off incredible.  No trouble walking in, complying with class routines, and having little difficulty in specials.

Then, my birthday happened.  Hunter had a sad face that morning and told me he didn't want to go to school on my birthday!  He wanted to stay home and make cupcakes and celebrate all day long.  Even though I promised him he wouldn't miss any of the fun, when Peter dropped the kids in the loop, he would not get out of the car  So there we were, back to dragging our 75 pound child into the building. 

Dislike.

I thought we were escaping that this year.  I just had this magical vision of a perfect year, excitement for the strides we would make, and optimism for his recovery potential. 

I still have the optimism and the enthusiasm, but the magic seems to have dissipated. 

He continued to have trouble the next two days, and I dropped him off the next without any difficulty.  I can't explain this attachment to me.  Separation anxiety is one of the top complaints of the PANDAS moms in my support group.  The moms complaining that they can't go anywhere, have a PANDAS child attached at their hip...when Hunter has strep or is around someone with strep, this is the case.  He threw hour-long tantrums last summer when exposed to strep, if I attempted to leave.

Our school has a special friends day this Friday, and he doesn't even want me to come.  I asked him again today, and he said, "Um, no thanks. I want to be by myself."  My feelings were a tad hurt, so when I asked him to explain, he said, "Because you have to leave then!  Remember last year when you came and you had to leave, how mad I got??"

This child would rather spend the fun class party time by himself then watch me leave him at school. 

Last week, the teachers all commented how off he seemed.  He wouldn't complete any work at school, he threw many tantrums, and they seemed alerted to the acute change that had occurred.  When we got home, he told me his throat hurt during a "war" game at school, so I did what I do best:  I ran him to the doctor.

I know they probably think I am a lunatic, but we just can't take chances.  Acute behavioral change paired with sore throat??  OF course we need to rule out strep.

His rapid and culture were both negative- so we were either dealing with some extreme lethargy from adjusting to the first grade routine, the full moon (of course, y'all!!!), or he had started to create antibodies due to proximity with someone who had strep.

Praying for a healthy week.  We need to get back our sweet first grader!

Photo dump from the last couple weeks..
this was not my idea.  Picture taking was followed by a hot steamy bath.

hunter's best buddy from school! soft soul!

someone was musician of the day in music class...and also the yoga master in PE!

Peyton started preschool- and we ended his first day with some ice cream!
 Photo booth with Aunt Gretchen
 



Comments

Popular Posts