My RANT against ignorance

Today we started IVIG #14.  Fourteen rounds leading us to the road of recovery.  We aren't there yet, but we are a whole lot further than we were almost 2 years ago.

Yesterday, Hunter had an adapted swim lesson.  He takes a lesson with another little boy with Autism, and they share the pool with an overly energetic aqua aerobics instructor.  You know, the kind that you truly need to put your headphones on in order to avoid knocking her in the pool. 

During their swim lesson, the lifeguard blew his whistle, and jumped in the pool.  Being that there were only 3 total people in the pool (our two boys and this instructor's client), our friend's dad and I sat there confused.  What was happening?

As he swam over to our swim instructor who now had acted lifeless in the pool (a random training drill), the aerobics instructor took it upon herself to rush over to Hunter in a panic, screaming, "You need to get out of the pool!  Get out of the pool!  Let's Go!!  Elbow, elbow, knee, knee..." over and over again.  Hunter just stood at the edge of the pool in a state of confusion- the instructor he was making his way towards was now lifeless, being pulled out of the water and placed on a board.  As soon as I heard her tone I tried to beat her over to him, and as I got closer, I saw her lean down close to him and bark in a sergeant tone, "GET OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!"  I walked up to Hunter, pulled him out of the pool, and looked her in the eyes and said, "Don't EVER yell at my son like that again.  He has Autism-he doesn't understand what is happening right now."

She stopped and jumped on the defense- she had no idea I was his mother- and said, "Well good thing you were here!  He would have to get out in an emergency situation!"  And then she started to talk about how he has to follow directions, etc- and I told her, "Mamm, I was a lifeguard for 6 years.  I understand that drills have to take place.  But you also have to display a sense of calmness for the patrons, not yell at them." 

I walked over with Hunter to the benches, grabbed his towel, and just as I turned around, saw the instructor talking to her client and knew she was badmouthing me just by looking at her body language.  Her client was just staring at me, closed mouth, shaking her head.  So I went and stood right in direct line with them- and as she continued to shake as her instructor walked away, I asked her, "Do you have a problem?"  Rude I know- but I couldn't help myself.

She jumped out of the pool and hustled over to me, "It seems like you were giving my instructor a hard time over there."  I told her yes, I was, because she was not to yell at my child.  She then went off on me for a few minutes, with the main points highlighted below:

"You are 'disservicing' your son by overprotecting him."

"You are only hurting him in the process."

"He needs to learn to listen to authority at some point."

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???

I explained that she had no clue about what my son has been through, that he has a disability that affects his cognitive functioning, and that I wanted her to go home and think about our conversation before she judges a parent the next time.  She didn't care- she continued to rant about my poor parenting skills and my judgment skills. 

And then she walked away.

I was crying by then, and it turned into an emotional ball when I saw Hunter and his friend completely upset because they thought something had happened to their swim instructor.  His friend was completely crying, and as his instructor came over to explain it was a drill, etc, I looked at him and continued my advocacy. 

I told him that was a poorly executed plan.  He said, well it was a surprise to me, but it wasn't- as soon as the whistle blew, he acted lifeless- and I know how the drills work.  There should never be a drill planned with a current swim instructor as the one in danger- and especially not during a special needs swim lesson.  He apologized and said it wouldn't happen again, and then apologized for the drill sergeant's behavior. 

Even today, as I type this, pounding the keys, my blood boils. 

Autism will NEVER beat us- but ignorance will. 

New data was released that indicates now 1:45 children have Autism.

1:45. 

We will never beat this encompassing disorder if parents do not continue the advocacy fight.  The stranger made me feel like I was using Autism as an excuse for "babying" or "poor parenting."

Autism is not an excuse- it is a way of life.

And it is OUR way of life.

So when you pray this week, pray for those truly need it- the ignorant and uneducated. 

Rant over.

Comments

Popular Posts