Spring break photo dump

Blogging over spring break was in the plan, but obviously did not happen.  We had a fun-filled week planned...Grandma and Grandpa B, and Uncle Richard and his girlfriend Vera flew to spend some quality time with us while the kids were out of school. 

The weekend started early with Paige doing her very first triathlon!  She swam 25 yards (she had the fastest time!), biked 1/2 mile, and ran 1/4 mile.  It was AWESOME to see her so excited, doing something that I am passionate about.  She loved every minute and smiled the whole time!


Official body marking :)

Leading the swim
The natatorium was very loud, with all the spectators and children cheering everyone on.  Hunter did fine the entire time...until we went outside to watch her transition to the bike.  I was able to assist her in the transition area, and I could hear Hunter yelling at my mom, "I want to go back inside! It's raining!"  The drizzly, windy, chilly morning didn't offer the best conditions for triathlon watching.



Leaving the transition area to start the bike portion

Smiling on her run


So proud of this little girl!  With Grandma B

Uncle Rich giving congrats, while she's drinking a powerade.  Ha!
After coming home for a quick bite to eat, it was back on the road to her soccer game...where she scored FIVE goals!  She was on fire that day!


After the soccer game, we finished the prep for Peyton's second birthday party.  I had spent the last couple of weeks getting things ready, so we just had the last minute items to cross off the list.  His train party had begun!


props for the train ride...tickets, hats, bandanas

I added train names to everything...Locomotive Lemonade, Choo Choo chicken, Train Wheel Pasta Salad, Coal (Oreo cookies), Peep Peep Popcorn



Rain was in the forecast for the afternoon, but thankfully it held off and the train arrived to take all the little friends on a ride!



LOVE LOVE this precious, sweet face


So excited about my choo choo!!
Cake time!  And guess who stood behind Peyton the whole time, singing and smiling...no hands over his ears...HUNTER! 
                                        


Just going for it...

                            

The next day, everyone was a little tired, but still enjoying our guests.  Paige had won a skate party with her friends, so we had planned that for the afternoon.  We decided we would leave Peyton home with my mom and take Hunter with us.  He resisted, but I really wanted to see if he would put skates on.


We arrived at the rink, and it was completely packed.  We spotted a few of Paige's friends, and I took to the girls while Peter and Uncle Rich played a game with Hunter.  The boys joined us down by the skate rentals and the next thing I knew, Hunter was putting skates on his feet.  I seriously almost fell over. 


Skating with Daddy's help
The skating rink has carts you can rent to make it easier for little ones and first timers.  I stood in line and watched as Hunter was making his way across the little rink with his daddy..and having fun!  I couldn't wait to get him the cart and have him skate off with the girls!
Wishful thinking...the minute he took the cart, he must have thought he could lean up against it because he started to fall backwards and the cart hit him in the face.  That was the end to skating...he sat down, sobbing, and pulled his skates off. "I can't do this!"  Over and over again.

We let him cool down and then the boys went to set up the popcorn and drinks at the table.  After he had a snack and the girls came to join him, I decided to give it another try.  I never want Hunter to end a new experience on  a bad note.  If I didn't get him up on those skates, and being successful, he would equate every following skating experience with this one time.  I laced his skates up, and he skated with my help to the machines and little rides.  He had a great time pushing the buttons and exploring the area, and we then "skated" back to the table where I replaced the skates with his shoes.  Success. 


Uncle Rich!

The rest of the week we spent time playing, reading, and going on some outings.  The aquarium was a fun activity for all of us...see the pics below.
Walking through the shark walk







Looking at the sharks below in the "blue room"


 We followed the aquarium with a frozen yogurt stop and the kids filled up their cups with ice cream and small treats.  I'm not sure if they were more amazed by the sharks or by the amount of ice cream Uncle Richard had.  You pay by the weight...his was over $8, if that gives you an idea.

Grandma B and Paige also had a tea party date.  The shop is located in a cute little old downtown area, so Grandpa B, the boys, and I all walked along the sidewalks and looked at the shops and historical buildings while we waited for the girls to finish their makeovers.  We came back to find them all dolled up.

                                  








                                    

The best part of the week was when we sat around at night, chatting about the events and the kids.  My brother and my dad hadn't seen the kids in almost a year (actually, Richard hadn't seen them in almost two years).  They told me that they were so impressed with Hunter.  My brother thought he was a completely different child than the one that he remembered.  He went along with all of the commotion, the transitions, the many plans and impromptu activities, and didn't cause a fuss. 

Peter and I see day-to-day progress, but sometimes when you are witnessing changes daily, it is hard to remember how far we have come.  Our therapists, our teachers, our family and friends all have contributed to his success.  We are kicking ASD's behind and I am so incredibly grateful for all who have supported us along the way. 

Praying we continue to witness the changes and improvements, and verifying in my mind that recovery is most definetly possible.

Comments

Popular Posts