play ball...finally!

When Hunter was little, he used to run around in our backyard, kicking the ball, chasing his daddy, and giggling the entire time.  Since PANDAS, he hasn't had an interest in sports, or really any physical activity for that matter.  I have blogged many times about this, because Peter and I are both sports-oriented.  He hasn't had the energy to run with us in the backyard, or ride his bike for a long distance, or hit the ball off the tee...not only because he fatigues so easily, but he hasn't had an interest.

Tonight was Paige's last day of soccer camp.
She has been wiped out this week from the 15 hours she has spent in British soccer camp, perfecting those skills.  We all decided to drop her off tonight, and Peter and I brought the boys' bikes, scooters, and a soccer ball.  Hunter rode his bike around the paths (while I chased behind him, b/c he still refuses to wear a helmet).  We saw daddy and Peyton in the big field, kicking the soccer ball.  I told Hunter to race me to them, and he ran faster than I have ever seen him run, and more coordinated, too.  Daddy was kicking the ball a mile up in the air and the boys had the best time trying to catch it, or be the first to reach it once it landed.  After sitting and taking a break from the heat, Peter went back on the field to kick the ball a few more times.  Hunter got up from his spot, ran, laughing, to Peter as he raced him to reach the soccer ball first.  They played a quick game of chase as they tried to get the ball from one another.

I, of course, started to cry.  It was the first time I had not prompted him to play.  He played because he intrinsically wanted to.  He bolted from his seat in the shade, and ran out into the 104 degree sun to play.




I think we sometimes take for granted how easily play comes to most children.  I heard a commercial on the radio today about a little boy who was paralyzed from the waist down, because he was hit by a woman who was texting.  The mother choked up as she said, "I want to be able to tell him to go outside and play, just like I used to.  And I can't even do that.  My son can't play."

Physically, Hunter has been able to run, jump, swing, slide, and participate like any other child.  However, mentally and emotionally, he hasn't had the desire....which can almost seem worse.  Tonight, I saw something spark in him that I haven't seen since he was 17 months old. 

He wanted to play ball with his daddy.

We won't ever take for granted the simplicity and beauty of natural play....and we will give thanks for these moments of pure happiness.





Comments

Popular Posts