a child's garden

I wouldn't say I have a green thumb.  Or an index finger, pinky finger, or any green digit.  I can keep some plants alive and remember to water about 50% of the time.  I blame my non-gardening skills on not having enough time to study plants, practice planting, and really tending to the needs of the outdoor life. 

I took the boys to the small garden in our town and it reminded me of a book that my mother-in-law gave me, called A Child's Garden, by Molly Dannenmaier.  The author writes about the importance of letting children explore the outdoors and develop a love for natural environments.  "Scores of studies show that natural environments heighten mental acuity, diminish stress, and even speed physical healing.  Sick people who spend time in nature recover more quickly, require less medication and follow-up treatment.  People under extreme stress suddenly become calmer in a natural setting: their blood pressure and heart rate drop dramatically while their ability to focus mentally increases.  There is even evidence that the nature's ever-changing cycles can increase intelligence."

We have been tending to a different kind of gardening over the past couple of years.  I may not be able to keep a plant healthy, but I can sure whip up a Vitaspectrum drink, or concoct a recipe with hidden veggies and protein powders, and can hydrate and get some Vitamin D for Hunter with no issues.  Keeping him healthy is the number one focus in this house at the time being.

I took some pictures the last time we went to the garden.  Paige was in religious ed, so it was just the boys and I.   The boys were so excited to explore this new area...Peyton following closely behind big brother...
 
 Hunter, amazed at the thought of fruit growing on trees....
 A whole garden of sweet potatoes??  The kids looked in wonder at the different types of greenery on each vegetable.
 
 Peyton, showing his big brother the peppers.
 
Hunter, Hunter, wait for me!!
 
 Hunter, trying to touch the chili peppers.
 
 And Peyton, again, following big brother's lead
 
 I found it!  A purple vegetable!

After a little gardening, my sweet little boy climbed up on my lap for some snuggles...
 
 And some kisses....


And that garden did make me feel like everything was right in my world.  My sweet boys, exploring the environment and shouting with enthusiasm the name of every new vegetable we found, or about a beautiful monarch butterfly sitting on a flower.

Stress and anxiety were gone.  This boy who used to despise the outdoors has learned to love and be at peace in nature.  Today he requested to go outside and ride his bike...without a prompt from me. 

Even though we may not have the most beautiful flowers on the block, or our backyard garden needs a little TLC, we have loved and nurtured this little boy...and he is sprouting with life. 



Comments

Popular Posts