getting excited about potty talk

Why do all kids think talking about "poop" and "pee" is hysterical?  How they make up new words, like "poo poo head" or "eat poop" or any other disgusting combination of the bathroom vocabulary??
No one likes to hear your child use potty words, right?

Well, no one except a parent of a child with Autism. 

Hunter's teacher came up to me after school yesterday and said, "We had to have a little chat with several of the boys in the class today.  Hunter was one of them.  He was using potty talk in school."  She went on to tell me how he was imitating the other children, talking about "poop" repetitively and getting reinforcement when the other children giggled.

I cannot even believe I am admitting this, but HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He was talking about poop!!!

He was following the other little boys in the class and realized that they were getting reciprocation from each other everytime someone would utter the lovely potty words.  He was actually participating appropriately!

Well, if you discount the fact that the subject is not appropriate.  But I digress.

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now don't change your mind about me as a parent.  I sat down with him after school and discussed the importance of using nice manners and saving potty talk only for the bathroom.  Peter also had a nice conversation about the "p" words at bedtime.  He said he understood and promised to not talk potty talk at school, even if the other boys did it.

So as inappropriate as the subject was, and as embarrassed as I would be if Paige's teacher told me she was the poop instigator, I couldn't help but check this off on the "win" side. 

And this will surely be one of the stories I tell Hunter when we kick this disorder to the curb. 

Take that, Autism!

Comments

Popular Posts