IVIG Day One

We dropped Paige off at school, Peyton at our friend's house (thank you SO much Jenny!), and headed to the hospital.  We arrived with our bags, snacks, electronics, movies...and of course Iggy and his IVIG bag. 

The child life employee came in around 8:45 and after talking with us for a few minutes, used Iggy and her own equipment to explain how the IV would be inserted. 

She showed him the "cold spray" to numb his hand, and tried it on daddy, Hunter, and Iggy. 
The nurses came in and Hunter ran out of the room.  Even with the preparation, three nurses entering the room with a cart of vials, needles, tourniquets, and medicine was intimidating...even for me.  We had daddy hold him, started a movie, brought out the ipad, and the nurse inserted the needle...and it took.  First time.  He said, "OW!" and that was it. 
The nurse wrapped his arm to prevent him from pulling it out, and we were set to premedicate.  Hunter doesn't do well with any type of medications...but for some reason, he took three vials of Benadryl and Tylenol like a champ. 

 Seamless.

 
 Time to start the drip...and off we went! 


checking on Iggy



The script...Gamunex, at a slow rate of 52 (will max at over 100 tomorrow).


 Iggy was there to help him through it all, too.  We even hung his bag up on the pole.
 
Once we were able to calm our own nerves a bit, we kicked back a bit and Peter got to work.  Well...maybe not quite yet...

The nurse came in every fifteen minutes in the beginning, and then every thirty minutes to increase the drip rate and check his blood pressure. 

The last time she came in, he sighed loudly and said "Not again!!"  He smiled and said, "Why are you doing that again??"

Love this sweet, funny boy. 
 

 

 
I can't even begin to explain how surreal it is to sit here, knowing that we are giving him exactly what he needs.  This fight has been so long and so hard, mainly because we knew there was an option that we had read about, back three years ago in a Parents Magazine.  And now, after finding a staff of physicians that determined he did in fact need IVIG, we are here. 
 
 
We received so many texts, phone calls (got your message from Turks, Jen!), emails, cards...



I have never "felt" prayer like I have this morning. 

And now I look at this little boy, sitting in this large, intimidating hospital room, playing his ipad and smiling like any normal day, and know that we are winning this fight.
 
We are going to beat this disorder. Not just for Hunter and our family, but for all of those who have suffered through losing normalcy from an infection gone bad. 
 
Now we pray that his body will accept these new antibodies and say goodbye to those old, confused, and mean antibodies that have been with us since 17 months. 
 
Till tomorrow.
 
"All of Me"- Matt Hammitt:
 
Afraid to love
Something that could break
Could I move on
If you were torn away
 
And I'm so close
To what I can't control
I can't give you half of my heart
and Pray He makes you whole.
 
You're gonna have all of me
You're gonna have all of me.
cause you're worth every falling tree.
You're worth facing every fear.
You're gonna know all my love.
Even if it's not enough.
Enough to mend our broken hearts.
But giving you all of me is where I'll start.
 
I won't let sadness steal you away from my arms.
I won't let pain keep you from my heart.
I dread the fear of all that I could lose.
For every moment that I share with you.
 
You're gonna have all of me
You're gonna have all of me.
cause you're worth every falling tree.
You're worth facing any fear.
You're gonna know all my love.
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts.
But giving you all of me is where I'll start.
 
Heaven brought you to this moment
It's too wonderful to speak.
You're worth all of me.
You're worth all of me.
So let me recklessly love you
Even if I bleed.
You're worth all of me.
You're worth all of me.
 
You're gonna have all of me.
You're gonna have all of me.
Cause you're worth every falling tear.
You're worth facing any fear.
You're gonna know all my love.
Even if it's not enough
Enough to mend our broken hearts.
But giving you all of me is where I'll start.
 


Comments

Popular Posts