so incredibly thankful

We definitely have had our share of ups and downs since the start of school.  The week before we left for WI, I was called into school at dismissal due to Hunter's non-compliance and his attempt to elope the building.  The staff told me that they were going to have to put more strict measures in place to ensure that he does not flee the building.  I'm not sure they believed that he would actually try to leave- but it didn't come as a surprise to Peter or I.

We have gone from kicking and screaming car loop exits, to smiles and hugs for his amazing special ed teacher in the morning.  His classroom teacher has sent me emails during the day to tell me how he is doing, even just a simple, "he's having a great day!"  or "he is making friends!  He invited a friend to sit next to him today!"  I cannot even begin to tell you how much those emails mean to me.  I think some parents feel that they are entitled to the constant communication from teachers; having worked in the district, I know that these teachers have a very short planning period and an even shorter lunch time to send notes to parents.  I am so appreciative.

But for some reason, the small victory that tops my list is Hunter's color chart on his calendar.

When I emailed his teacher at the beginning of the year, she told me that he would be on a different behavior plan.  I have to admit, I was crushed.  I was hoping that he would be held to the same standards as the rest of the class, despite his diagnosis.  Last Friday, he came home with a green on his calendar.  I celebrated that green big-time- so much verbal praise, cookies after school- he knew how proud I was of him.  And then, this week we had two greens followed by a PURPLE today.  I asked him what a purple day was, and he said, "An amazing day!"  

So yes, I am crying over a colored calendar.  I tear up when I hear his teacher telling me that he is talking with friends, and telling jokes at the table.  I ball when I see pictures on the class blog of him reading books and playing on the playground.
 This child of ours, who has been challenged for the last four years to overcome an illness, has surprised us and conquered so many trials over the last few weeks.  He walked out of school today with a little girl, and she said, "Hunter wants me to come over and play, but I think the weekend is better, like Saturday or Sunday."  They had bonded over a book in the library and his teacher called them "BFF's."

My child, the one who is diagnosed with Autism, is making friends.

My child is making it in a regular classroom for eight hours a day (with minimal support).

My child, who we were told by so many, would not recover...

is recovering.

If I can find the glory behind all of the tribulations over the past few years, I am obviously going to give it to God...for in Him we believe, so in Hunter we believe, and we are so incredibly grateful for these small (but BIG) victories.

Forgot what this kind of parenting feels like.  My sweet Peyton has actually gotten 'all' of me when the kids are in school.  I'm not worrying much anymore-

I'm learning to trust.


So I will ask you for a few small intentions this week...
-pray that our success continues
-pray that his next IVIG (starting Monday) will be with ease and will push us even further on this road to recovery
-please pray for my mother-in-law as she fights an infection in the hospital.  Many prayers are being sent her way- she has had a rough road.


Comments

Popular Posts