The Ten Myths of Autism- DEBUNKED

If you were to stand on the busiest intersection in New York City and you asked fellow colleagues, tourists, and locals what Autism meant, you would surely get an array of answers.  Some would be Wikipedia-worthy; others would make you cringe.  Throughout our journey with Autism, we have busted what I think are the top ten myths.

1) Children with Autism do not show emotion.  My son is the exact opposite of this claim.  If you look up the original definition of Autism, this myth would seem to be true. However, if you spent a day in my home and recorded the number of kisses, hugs, and impromptu "I love you's," you would quickly learn that my son is one of the most compassionate kids you have ever met.

2) Children with Autism do not have empathy.  My son has shown empathy numerous times.  If I stub my toe, or wince in pain from a stove burn, he is the first to ask, "Are you ok??"  There were several school reports that demonstrated his concern for others, and he is quick to offer a hug to those in need.  Children with Autism may not have all the tools to read social cues and interpret non-verbal communication, but there is no mistaking a friend in need.

3) Children with Autism are all the same.  Not so.  That's why they call it a "spectrum disorder."  In all actuality, there are no two kids with Autism alike.  Some of these children talk all day long- they may talk about their main preferences, but they talk ALL DAY.  Some children with Autism are non-verbal and communicate with devices, sign, or symbols.  The variety of degrees of diagnosis make this disorder even more fascinating.

4) Parents are responsible for their child developing Autism.  Honestly, what parent wishes ill-will on their child?  I think the term "refrigerator moms" was used to describe cold, unemotional parents that did not show their children love.  I love my children more than life itself, and nothing would devastate me more than missing a day to show them how much I love them.  I definitely did not cause my child to have an Autism spectrum disorder, and I fight daily to recover him.

5) Children with Autism do not understand humor.  My son is the biggest knock-knock joke teller I know.  The other day at the pool, his brother's swim trunks fell down when he was running around and my child with Autism thought this was the funniest thing in the world.  His laugh may be a little louder than the rest, and he may laugh inappropriately at times, but the sound of his laughter warms my heart.

6) Children with Autism need to be in a special ed classroom.  Years ago, yes.  Today, the least restrictive environment is absolutely the best scenario for a child who suffers from a social communication disorder.  Children learn from their peers...and who better to teach social skills to a child on the spectrum than a child themselves. 

7) Autism is a psychological disorder.  It's actually a biologic disorder in which the brain, and in our case, the immune system are attacked and three main areas of functioning are impacted (social communication, behavior, and repetitive rituals/interests). 

8) Children with Autism cannot make friends.  I have seen my son in many classroom environments, and they all love him just for who he is.  He has a best friend who plays at our house, talks about their shared interests, and genuinely looks forward to spending time with him.  I've seen his school friends in the community, excitedly waving, yelling his name.  Those moments were not arranged, not cued- they were spontaneous instances of friendship.

9) Children with Autism will not succeed. The kicker.  You honestly cannot look me in my eyes and tell me that my five year old will not succeed.  He has 12 years of primary education to assist him on the ladder to success...and his 121 IQ will get him there- along with hours of therapy to train him how to use these God-given talents.

10) Kids with Autism cannot recover.
      BS.  We're doing it.

Comments

Popular Posts