flying into the start of kindergarten

What a week! We tried to jam pack every ounce left of summer fun into this week.  Monday funday- we went to the zoo early in the morning to beat the crowds and the heat- and we had the best day!  We spent three hours at the park and the most trouble I had was from Peyton.  It was a perfect start to the week.





love this kid



got to pet the hedgehog

flamingos in the background
 and a zoo must...pictures on the elephant statues. :)



 another attraction- the jeep! have a picture from four years ago here.
                         Hunter at 6                                                                        Hunter at 2
 Another favorite at this zoo- feeding the giraffes! Since we were there early, they were still hungry!!




 The king of the jungle was hot-he was hiding in the shade.

don't call CPS- there is a window there.

Our favorite sign- this one's for you, grandma B!

 These little crazy birds flew right around us. I told Peyton many times not to put his hand close- ooops, he got snipped at!

 And my least favorite part of this zoo, which is why we went there last. The Children's zoo complete with water and a playground.  I told the kids not to get their clothes wet...

 ...and that lasted about two minutes.  Peyton dove in- ugh!

last little nature room

petting the farm animals
The kids were fabulous.  While we were there, Dr G's nurse called to confirm that we could continue IVIG and she asked how we were doing- I told her that we were at the zoo- and I was alone with all three kids- and that should explain how wonderful he is doing right now!

Tuesday I had to work in the AM, but we had playdates, ABA therapy,  and more fun.  Wednesday, we had OT in the morning, but after Peyton's nap, we went to the movies to see Planes: Fire and Rescue.  What a great movie! And again, I did it solo.  Little non-compliance the whole time!  If you haven't seen the movie, what a wonderful message- even though life doesn't work out the way we expect it to, we keep on living.  One of the theme songs was great-Still I Fly- of course was sobbing in the theater as I sat there watching my three kids eating popcorn and seeing a movie like any other normal family.  Fit perfect for this week (song lyrics and link follow at end).

















Monday night, while I was running around doing quick errands before Peter went out of town for the week, and I stopped at a store last minute.  I was searching for back to school items and was thinking during my drive about Hunter, my anxiety...I was a week away from him starting school and we hadn't had a meeting yet to discuss the plan.  However, as I got out of my car, I looked up and you guessed it- pure beauty.
Another full arch.  I knew we were going to be OK!

Meet the Teacher was Thursday night.  I took the kids swimming when I got home from work to give Hunter a little sensory relief prior to a high anxiety situation.  We had been talking about the event often and with much excitement.  He truly seemed to want to go to his new school.  His teacher was so unbelievably awesome- when he pulled back initially, so did she.  She waited until a group had passed and then came over to us, knelt down, and in her sweet voice told him how happy she was to meet him.  It was love at first sight for Hunter.  Remember how much you were in awe of your kindergarten teacher?  I even remember my first day, the special letter people she introduced us to in the basement classroom at our private church school- Mrs. U made an impact on my schooling even at such a young age!







his new Kinder teacher Ms.H

Silly picture with Mrs. M

already trying to get the ipad


another Ms M

reading in the library


He walked in the classroom and was so excited to see the many rows and boxes of books.  He found his name and excitedly shouted, "Mommy! Look at my cubby!"  He followed all the directions to put his school supplies in certain bins, and allowed me to take pictures of him and his new teacher.  As he walked from one area to another, he circled back to me, grabbed me in a tight embrace, and said, "Mommy! I am going to have so much fun in kindergarten!"

Success.

We then went to see Paige's classroom, the library, computer lab, and both special education teachers.  They, likewise, were fabulous and he only had one tiny hit at the end- he was looking for a reaction from someone, and I just ignored and continued on.  We celebrated with ice cream and I reveled in the fact that he was going to kindergarten...and he survived crazy, chaotic meet the teacher night.  I honestly felt like I was one of those other parents in the room. And I guarantee not one person would have known that night that he had Autism.

I'm not trying to fool anyone- but the goal of therapy is for him to function like his normal peers. And he surpassed my expectations that night.

Friday I presented to a group of SLPs on Autism and ABA, along with Hunter's therapist.  I cannot tell you the emotions I felt while presenting.  I have never been the best public speaker- I doubt myself, doubt my knowledge, but for some reason, I flowed so evenly and one of the reviews described us as "passionate."  My supervisor came up to me at the end and told us she would like us to present again, and that she saw many people in tears during Hunter's video.

And that was my goal.  Not to make everyone cry, but to touch those therapists not as a colleague...

but as a mom.

I first and foremost am a mother to a son with Autism.  But my career was shaped to assist in his recovery, and now his recovery story can assist others.

Hunter has "made me stronger for the fight."  As I have "watched him grow" and "touch the sky" in ways that I never dreamed possible, he has given me the "courage to be found" on those occasions when I feel like I am defeated, lost, and done.

But you know those days when you just feel complete?  Your life feels like it has turned every which way, upside down, thrown you around a bit, and you can't catch your breath...

but then one day comes when you realize life isn't as the way you expected it to be...

it is better.



Still I fly- by Spencer Lee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RQuiDk1S8

There's a time in your life.
When the world is on your side.
You might not feel it.
You might not see it.
But it surrounds you like a light.
Makes you stronger for the fight.
.
I'm never letting go
I've got to learn to grow.
Watch me as I touch the sky.
Still I fly.

Now I know its what I got to do,
find the dream that's new.
Give it all I got this time.
Still I fly.
Still I fly.

Feel the wind all around
All the courage to be found.
Who knows what's out there
I know I'll get there.
All off into the sun.
I know I'm not the only one that's letting go.

I'm never letting go
I've got to learn to grow.
Watch me as I touch the sky.
Still I fly.
Now I know its what I got to do,
find a dream that's new.
Give it all I got this time.
Still I fly.

Bring it in, I've got to shine.
It's my moment, gotta live it
Live it right.
I'm flying, Flying so strong.
I'm moving, I'm moving, I'm moving on.









4

Comments

Popular Posts