The day I married my best friend

Today marks our twelve year anniversary...cannot believe we have been married that long, let alone known each other for sixteen years.

Last night, we reminisced about our twelve best moments in our lives.  Obviously, the wedding topped the list- we truly had a party for 72 straight hours.  We had friends and family fly in from everywhere to celebrate the day with us- and I wouldn't have changed a thing.  We were married in the beautiful, historic church on our college campus, where we had met.  We each had ten attendants and several other close friends and family who were involved in the ceremony at some point.  We didn't even leave our reception until almost 1 AM, when my mother-in-law told us to go (thank you Sue! We just didn't want to miss any of the fun!).

The other events included the kids' births, our big trips (Hawaii, Cancun, Turks and Caicos), and several other momentous occasions.

As we sat at dinner smiling about the list, I asked Peter, "So what are your 12 do-overs?  What would you have changed?"

He sat for a minute and said, "I can't think of any.  I'm not just saying that- I don't think that way."

And that's how I know I married the right man.  How I married my best friend.  How God knew that this strong, loving man would never, ever leave my side after making a commitment to one another.

How he would love me for better, and for worse.

We have definitely been dealt our fair share of worse.  He shattered his ankle in college and can never run again- and he was (and still is) an amazing athlete.  We have lost several people in our lives who have meant so much to us.  We have spent many long nights crying it out over one of the biggest losses in our little family- the loss of normalcy.

But thinking it over this morning, and reminiscing on his response last night, I, too, agree that life is not about do-overs to change the unfortunate things that have occurred...

it  is about the do-overs to celebrate the moments that were so monumental.

One of my twelve moments that I listed last night included Hunter's fifth birthday party.  It was the first time in four years that we were able to sing happy birthday to a smiling, bright-eyed boy...and a confirmation that we were on the right track to healing our son.

So if you could do it all over again, what are the most significant events that you would live over again-

for better, not for worse?














Comments

Popular Posts