looking through the eyes of a child

We are still waiting on blood work- nothing new to report.  These last few weeks have been filled with ups and downs, and we are trying so very hard to focus on the positive.  I had to share our best event last week.

We had coordinated with Hunter's previous private preschool teacher to come and have lunch with the class.  We decided to go last Thursday, after he finished with the district program.  Hunter was so excited to go in the building, and was greeted at the door by all of his friends, who calmly smiled and said, "HI HUNTER!"  His sweet teacher, Ms. Gina, had prepared the class by asking them to quietly greet him, so he wasn't scared off.  He walked right in, grabbing a hold of my shirt, but had the biggest smile on his face.  He eventually sat down with his friends, right in his old lunch spot, and Ms. Gina presented a book that the class had made for him.  Each page pulled at my heart strings for varying reasons...




This was the cover of the book...and carefully drawn pictures from each of his friends followed...
I like Hunter b/c he is so nice to me.
 I like Hunter b/c he laughs.
 I like Hunter b/c I like to swing on the tire swing with him.
 I like Hunter b/c we have fun play dates. I like to play cars with him.
 I like Hunter b/c/ he is funny.
 I like Hunter b/c he knows the answers in calendar time. :)
 I like Hunter b/c I like to swing with him and I like how his is funny.
 I like Hunter b/c he always knows the Bible verse in Chapel.
 I like Hunter b/c he reads books with me in library center.
 I like Hunter b/c he likes Lightning Mcqueen like me.
I like Hunter b/c he plays with me a lot.
 
Every picture tells a story.  Every word depicts a child that is loved, treasured, and considered to be a friend.  Even his differences, his qualities that we have grown to love, things that other people might consider to be "different," were seen as strengths.  Yes, he has an incredible memory and he always knows the dates b/c he has a love for numbers, but the kids saw him as "smart."  He may say odd things or repetitive phrases, but the kids saw him as "funny."  He needs the tire swing outside for sensory input and to work his wiggles out, but the kids saw that as "playtime."
 
My son, my incredible son, may have difficulties and issues that extend past these children's capacity, but the most incredible, reoccurring theme is that he has strengths.  He has self-worth.  And above all, he has friends.
 
My tears when reading this book were not tears of sadness, but tears of joy...may these sweet children and all others grow to always be accepting of others' differences and never make light of the journey. 
 
Hunter has an abundance of qualities to offer to this world...
 
and sometimes we need to look through the eyes of children to be reminded of them. 


 
 

Comments

Popular Posts