OCD- an obsessive completion desire

Inherent in an Autism disorder can be the diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It is "characterized by debilitating obsessions and/or compulsions. These differ in that obsessions are unwanted and persistent thoughts; whereas, compulsions usually involve repetitive, illogical behaviors such as washing hands for hours.  Children with OCD may have abnormalities in the parts of the brain that process and sort sensory information and aid in focusing." (www.livestrong.com).
 
Now when you look at PANDAS,  I'm surprised "Hunter" isn't written in part of the definition. 
"Although we usually think of our immune system as protecting us from outside invaders such as bacteria, viruses and other germs, it can get confused and attack our own body. When this happens we are said to suffer from an autoimmune disorder.   Although obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is usually thought to be caused by combination of stress, genetic predisposition and disruption of neurochemicals such as serotonin, there is growing evidence that a specific form of childhood of OCD may actually be an autoimmune disorder.
The Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections or “PANDAS” form of OCD is thought to be triggered by an infection of the same bacteria that causes strep throat and scarlet fever. As the child’s immune system fights the strep infection, it becomes confused and starts to attack an area of the brain called the basal ganglia. Although changes in a number of brain areas underlie symptoms of OCD, abnormalities of the basal ganglia have been associated with symptoms of OCD.
Of course, strep throat is a common infection and not all children who develop this infection will develop the PANDAS form of OCD. Research has shown that only those children who are genetically predisposed to OCD or tics are vulnerable to developing this form of OCD.
About 25% of children with OCD have the PANDAS subtype. The PANDAS form of OCD has a few key symptoms that lets doctors distinguish it from more typical forms of childhood OCD. For example:
  • Whereas the symptoms of regular OCD develop slowly, the onset of the PANDAS form of OCD is rapid.
  • The PANDAS form of OCD occurs in close association with a strep infection. However, regular OCD can occur at anytime. 
  • Unlike regular OCD, children with the PANDAS form of OCD usually have involuntary movements of the arms, legs and face.  
Other symptoms of the PANDAS form of OCD include:
  • Irritability, temper tantrums and problems with mood.
  • Increased anxiety.
  • New problems with fine motor or math skills or problems with other sensory components"
        • (From About.com)

Lately, I have noticed a real difference in his behaviors.  I do believe we are on the upswing.  I still get hit several times a day, but it is purely attention seeking at this point- and it is due to taking away a tangible (ipad, tv, wii, etc).  Until last night did I ever really re-evaluate the OCD part of his disability- and it pained me to see this happen...

Hunter has shown a recent increase in his desire to color.  He loves to pick out a picture on our printer, typically Lightning McQueen.  He has even sat for over thirty minutes at a time, perfecting each of his pictures. I was so excited about him wanting to color and do a fine motor task that I failed to see the underlying issue.
 
 

 
I had moved the little craft table into his bedroom yesterday so he could color with Paige while Peyton napped.  Last night, before going to bed, he snuck downstairs to print off yet another picture of Lightning McQueen.  I redirected him back upstairs and told him he needed to pick one thing to color.  "OK, mommy, I will color his wheels. "  After completing, "OK, mommy, I just need to color his lightning bolts."  Again, he moved on, "OK, this is the last thing.  I need to color his eyes."  And on and on we went, until finally I told him he needed to come to bed.  He was pleasant as could be, I said our prayers, and kissed him goodnight. 
 
I thought I heard him moving around upstairs, so Peter went up to see what was going on...he had turned his light on, and was sitting at the table, "just coloring one more thing."
 
My boy who HATES to color, hates to practice writing, hates to do fine motor activities, had gotten out of bed to complete his project.
 
At that point, I got it.
 
I have OCD tendencies myself- I don't like to leave the house messy before heading out the door, I can't leave the dishwasher half-emptied; when I didn't have children, I used to use a folding board to organize everything in my closet and even finger spaced the clothing a time or two.  In my job, I can't stand to have a missed visit- I have to complete all nine visits/ month- and the completion is almost more important than the income.  When I bike or run on the weekend, I can't stop until I have reached my goaled mileage- and not a minute before.   The difference between Hunter and I is that I won't let a disruption ruin my day.  I can go on with my life if something is not completed.
 
My sweet boy could not go to bed until he had finished his paper.  We had been so proud the day prior when the entire lightning had been colored in- something he had never done before.  But tonight, as he had to sing through the entirety of his school alphabet song four times, and HAD to do each of the uppercase and lowercase letters, I got it again.
 
I realized that the majority of our behavioral issues are rooted in his OCD.  He can't stop the TV because the commercials haven't played all the way to the end.  We can't get out of the car because number 14 hasn't finished yet. He can't turn off the computer because he hasn't completed the entire game.  He can't stop the Wii because he hasn't won yet.  And with each instance of us disrupting his OCD, we are on the receiving end of his aggression. 
 
So how do you cope with a disorder, when there are constant obsessions in the environment?
 
You alter the environment. 
 

 
For now, we bid goodbye to our TV.  I don't even turn it on- Peter does enjoy watching his sports at night, but we have a TV in the bedroom.  It was actually Peter's idea...so we are going to try it out and see if the aggression subsides.  Generally, when a vice is taken out of the environment, the child will replace it with another tangible, but we are hoping for the best. 
 
Prior to last night, I was so angry (inside) with Hunter for hitting the TV, smacking the computer, or throwing my phone on the ground when I took it away.  But I saw the true issue that was underlying...his rampant OCD, which controls his emotions and behavior.
 
So now instead of being angry, I feel sorry for him...
 
because I know what it is like to have that intrinsic desire of completion.
 


Comments

Popular Posts