Words hurt :(

Speak with kindness, for your words become your actions. 
Your actions become your character.
Your character becomes your destiny.

I saw this quote in a teacher workroom at one of the preschools I attend.  I loved the message and try to remember it in the most heated moments at our house.  I want our children growing up with kind words, kind actions, and kind hearts.

Unfortunately, sometimes, words can just be plain mean. 

Today, Hunter hesitated going into the classroom. I expected a struggle, since last Friday he had difficulty transitioning after the assembly, and I hung around too long.  I knew this morning he would try and sit with me on the bench instead of walking right into class, but after a brief moment on the bench and me explaining that I wasn't going to sit today, he walked in.  As soon as we walked in the room, a little boy turned to him and said loudly, for all the other children to hear,

"Go AWAY, Hunter!"

I immediately turned to Hunter to see his reaction, but he just came and walked behind me.  The teacher took care of the situation while I tried to figure out the next best move.  I wanted to hold him so tight and tell him over and over again what a good kid he was, but I knew if I hung around he wouldn't stay in the class.  I wanted to hold his little face and look him in the eyes and tell him how much I loved him and not to let words hurt, like the actress from the movie "The Help;"' 'you are kind you are smart, you are important;' but he walked over to put his folder away and do his morning job....

so I left.

I know he heard him; he looked right in his eyes as this little boy told him to leave, and it doesn't matter how deep your disability lies, if you have a disability at all, how old you are...

words hurt. 

My heart broke again for my little boy who has tried so hard to fit in, to make attempts at friendships with his little awkward ways...

and, of course, the little boy who told him to leave is the same one who Hunter told me was his "best friend."

It just kills me to think that he won't be accepted by others; that he will be the one sitting at the lunch table next year by himself; the only one not invited to the birthday party; the last one picked for the team in P.E.

I can arrange playdates and have activities planned that encourage friendships, and we have unbelievably supportive friends that make these things happen...but when it comes to elementary school next year, he will be on his own.  I can't manipulate a situation to make him feel accepted.

He has to do it on his own.

Today's lesson in parenting a child with Autism SUCKS.  And all of my social skills training can't erase another child's words.

So here's my advice to any parent out there: teach your children to speak with kindness. Act with love.

Because words hurt even kids with Autism. 

And their parents, too.

"With Every Act of Love"- Jason Gray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Ak6FdbQGE&list=RDv1Ak6FdbQGE#t=10
Sitting at the stoplight
He can't be bothered by the heart cry
Written on the cardboard in her hands
Oh, but when she looks him in the eye
His heart is broken, open wide
And he feels the hand of God reach out through him
As heaven touches earth

Oh, we bring the kingdom come
Oh, with every act of love
Jesus, help us carry You
Alive in us, Your light shines through
With every act of love
We bring the kingdom come

There's silence at the table
He wants to talk but he's not able
For all the shame that's locked him deep inside
Oh, but her words are the medicine
When she says they can begin again
And forgiveness will set him free tonight
As heaven touches earth
Oh, we bring the kingdom come
Oh, with every act of love
Jesus, help us carry You
Alive in us, Your light shines through
With every act of love
We bring the kingdom come

God put a million, million doors in the world
For His love to walk through
One of those doors is you
I said, God put a million, million doors in the world
For His love to walk through
One of those doors is you

Oh, we bring the kingdom come
Oh, with every act of love
Jesus, help us carry You
Alive in us, Your light shines through
With every act of love
We bring the kingdom

Oh, we bring the kingdom come
Oh, with every act of love
Jesus, help us carry You
Alive in us, Your light shines through
With every act of love
We bring the kingdom come

With every act of love
We bring the kingdom come
With every act of love
We bring the kingdom come

Comments

Popular Posts