A "typical" playdate :)

We met our new little friend, E, at the pumpkin patch for some Halloween fun.  I might have been a little anxious about this get-together.  I made a special snack for all the kids, brought Halloween books in our bag, and planned a little photo taking with the group.

I had been debating how to bring up Hunter's diagnosis with E's mother.  We had easy conversations, and got along so well.  We talked about school, church, and sports ("Does Hunter play soccer, too?" Had to chuckle to myself at that one).  The kids took some pictures, and then ran to the playground.  As the children all played together (Hunter did sit by himself for little bits of time, but didn't seem out of the ordinary), we continued our conversations until Hunter had to go to the potty- and there wasn't one at the facility.  So we ended up cutting our time short, but I sent her a text after thanking her and asking if we could get together again soon.  She replied, and said maybe one afternoon she could have Hunter over while I had my appointments for work.

He passed as a typical kid, who could possibly play soccer, climbed trees with his friend, and was invited to their house to play.

That night, I considered sending her an email and explaining why playdates work better at our house, but then I changed my mind.  If there wasn't a pertinent issue, I didn't see a reason to share his entire health history.

I  told myself we could get this child as close to "typical" as possible during this journey to recovery. My heart is so full this week, after countless good reports from teachers and administrators that I will share in a later post.

He made it through a playdate with a peer and didn't exhibit one sign of Autism.

I'd call that a Win.

Take that, Austim!
















 Other fun fall days...
playing with our sweet neighbors dogs- Hunter's buddies.



 Bike riding- for all!  And look at Hunter's head...first time tolerating a helmet- willingly!!






 And of course, soccer games!  This little guy scored his first goal last weekend!!
And Paige's academy team...from game one where she was wringing her shirt non-stop and avoiding the ball, to a couple of assists in the last games! She continues to score weekly on her rec team, but still is timid on the other team.  She has been practicing/competing in soccer about 8-10 hours/week!


Comments

Popular Posts