"Alone" on the playground

Peyton and I had to run some errands, and as I left the house, I realized we were a couple minutes away from the start of Hunter's recess.  We pulled off into the parking lot adjacent to the school to wait for them to come out.  All of a sudden, the doors opened and out ran almost 60 kindergarten kids, ready to release some energy.  I was thankful Hunter was in another bright yellow shirt, for he was simple to spot.  He ran right up the steps, stood atop of the slide, and just watched as his classmates all darted in different directions.  He slid down the slide and ran over to the "hoop" and hugged the pole.

He danced around it a little bit, every once in awhile jumping and flapping discreetly, and then went back to hugging the pole.  It was almost as if he was hiding behind it, making  himself invisible to the fun chaos encircling him.

He backed away, and again watched all his classmates running, playing games with one another, and giggling loudly.

And there he stood.

The minutes ticked by as I sat there, watching, praying for someone, anyone, to run up to him and invite him to play.

It honestly was agonizing to see all of those children, happily playing with one another and seeing my child stand there...

alone.

Four of the longest minutes passed by, and I wondered if I could possibly sit there for the entire recess period with my heart breaking.

But then it happened....

a soft soul.  One of those kids that somehow, so young, learned to be kind to those who may be a little different, struggle a little more, but still grant them a chance.

I couldn't tell from my view point, but I am pretty sure I know who the little boy was.  I have seen him walking out of school, holding Hunter's hand, and asking him all about Lightning McQueen.
I actually stopped his mom the other day and asked her if he would be interested in having a playdate, and she sent me the following text:

"We would love to have an after school playdate with you all sometime.  Maybe next week?  Just let me know what might work for you!"

He has made a friend, on his own, and this little boy truly seems to enjoy him.

I feel like I am hiding something from the mother- it will be interesting to see how it all progresses at the park this week.  Do I just tell her from the beginning, or do I wait until he flaps his arms a little, and walks away from the children to have a few minutes by himself?  Or do I just go on and let him play, and not strap a label to his back immediately?

I want to just hug this mom, and tell her what a blessing her little soft soul is to my son- and pat her on the back for raising that child that will friend another in need.

Anyways, back to the playground...

the little boy walked up to Hunter with a ball, and they started playing, taking turns chasing the ball as it rolled out of the hoop.  I sat there with the biggest smile on my face, watching as they followed one another around the playground.

I only stayed for a few minutes- as a mom, I couldn't handle seeing the rest of the recess period if he was once left alone again.  I wanted to leave with the image of him running, playing, and smiling with a peer.

Seeing him so isolated, so alone...it seriously tore my heart apart.  I know he has the capability to make friends, but his anxiety is so strong and his social awkwardness is great enough to leave him by himself, until someone else makes the attempt.  He will reciprocate once approached, but I don't know when he will have enough confidence and inner drive to be the initiator.

For now, we depend on those soft souls to break him out of the shadows of Autism.

Autism is not fair in so many ways- these poor children have had to deal with too much to allow them to live their lives alone.  Just like us adults, they do need companionship.  They need to feel important.  They need to feel loved.

They need to feel wanted.

Good thing we have our savior to walk with us.  He is on that playground with Hunter.  And so are his sweet guardian angels.

We are truly never alone.

Never Alone- Jesse Bonanno (youtube video linked)

Never alone.
When your hope has been broken.
And the fear is unspoken but true.
Never alone.
Like the dream in a child.
Or a childish dream in you.
I'd do anything that I can do
To show you my love, and comfort you.

When you can't seem to find your way home.
And when life gets too hard to face on your own
I will stand as your light through your darkest unknown.
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

Never alone.
Like a tear in the ocean
or a star on a clear winter night.
Never alone.
And the courage you needed
has been all but defeated in you.
I'd do anything that I can do
To show you my love, and comfort you..

When you can't seem to find your way home.
And when life gets too hard to face on your own
I will stand as your light through your darkest unknown.
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

Never alone, never alone.
Never alone.

When you can't seem to find your way home.
And when life gets too hard to face on your own
I will stand as your light through your darkest unknown.
I will walk with you,
I will walk with you,
I will walk with you
so you're never alone.




Comments

Popular Posts