little buddies

When Peter and I were younger (ha- seems like forever ago!), we both said we wanted three children.  Three seemed like a good number- not too much chaos, but enough activity to have a fun, bustling household.  I always envisioned these siblings playing together, like we did when I grew up.  Coming from a family of seven, us five children learned better than most how to share, appreciate the extras, and rely on family for support, fun, and love.  My parents worked extra hard to provide for our large family, but we never failed to take a big summer vacation trip with my Grandma Maggie across the US.  We have seen most national monuments, parks, have been to 48/50 states, and really learned the meaning of the word "sibling" as we drove ten hour days in our van together.

For our little family, we haven't really had the naturalistic development of sibling relationships.  I know they all love one another, but as far as playmates go, we definitely struggled to find a commonality between each of them- even two of them.  Hunter has been stuck on Lightning McQueen for so long, and Peyton is into superheroes; Paige- American girls.  Hmm...hard to create play scenes with cars, action figures, and large, pretty dolls.

We have arranged situations so that we all share in a group activity- a board game, movie night, hide and go seek...but up until IVIG started (and most likely the more the boys mature), I hadn't seen the brother bond.  Paige, the natural therapist, knows better than some licensed SLP's how to set up a play scenario to include all.  She still will play "little people" with Peyton, and will even grab a McQueen car in the morning to talk with Hunter's 18,000 other red cars.  However, Peyton has kind of been a shadow for Hunter.  He didn't really pay any attention to Peyton as far as a potential playmate went.  But now, they are right next to each other at the table.  They walk next to one another on the way to Paige's games.  My favorite "normal moment" is when Peyton tackles Hunter, and they giggle together.

I honestly never thought I would see that.

He "rough houses" with his brother.  Super big check mark in the win column.

Peyton has learned that his brother is different in his own interactions, but he is naive to the full scale of his disorder.  The other day, he said, "Mommy- why does Hunter do this?"  And he flapped his arms like a bird.

I told him exactly what I told Paige several years ago- 'it's just what his brain tells him to do.'

He also asks Hunter when we pick him up from school, "Did you hit today, Hunter?"

Kind of kills me, but at the same time, even when he hears some pretty rotten things come out of Hunter's mouth, watches him hit me in a rage, and covers his ears when he screams, he still wants to be his little buddy.

It's funny- typing those sentences above makes me smile.

Why?

Because I just realized I haven't been hit in a very, very long time (not including IVIG insertion).

We still have our challenges.  We have our refusals, we have our difficulties, and school isn't usually incident-less.

But for the first time in four and a half years, I have been going to bed for the last week at or before 10PM and getting 8 hours of sleep.

Straight.

When you look at recovery, you have to look at several key players.
1) The patient.  He is happier, smiles more, less aggressive, more articulate, etc.
2) The parents.  We are happier,  We smile more.  And we actually sleep.
3) The siblings.  They are happier, too.  They aren't carrying the anxiety and worry on their sweet faces.

Here's to another element of normalcy developing before our very eyes.

And with that, it's my bedtime.




little homeschooling the Friday after IVIG- kept him home
 totally not my idea- they wanted to dress up as superheroes and "save me"

Paige's weekend was pretty exciting- she did her second triathlon...





 And then went on to score two goals in her soccer game!

Peyton's soccer team- with coach daddy!
 And finally, Hunter's sport- this is "basketball hair" from recess.  His special ed teacher sent it to me- as crazy as this boy looks, he was PLAYING enough to get it like this- even with mousse in it!





Comments

Popular Posts