Simplicity

Simplicity.  Clarity.  Straightforwardness.  Easiness.  Absence of complication.

I can think of several synonyms for the words above.  I can also think of an antonym: AUTISM.

We visited our pediatrician this afternoon to discuss the possibility of starting an antibiotic (doxycyclin) to test our theory of a viral component.  After sharing the lab results and recent testing, our pedi advised strongly against starting the antibiotic.  Along with the side effect of graying the teeth, it also is not recommended by the AAP to be given to children under the age of 8.  She did, however, think that the three supplements recommended by the DAN doctor would only be beneficial for him and wanted us to continue with all of our natural remedies (omega 3s, juice plus, probiotics, and supplements (zinc, CoQ10, L-theanine).

We ran a rapid strep today (which was negative) and they were going to culture out the sample.  She thought the numbers from the lab testing (mildly elevated) only indicated that he has had strep in the past.  She said she was willing to run a 10 or 20-day course of Omnicef to see if any symptoms decreased.  The gut wrencher was within her reasoning- she didn't think it would make a difference. 

I felt that headwind hit me hard again.  This weekend I biked almost 50 miles against a headwind, and it felt nothing like this.    Do we follow the out-of-the-box doctor, who has studied Autism and PANDAS for over 25 years, or do we follow our much loved and respected pediatrician, who has seen the course of development over the past four years?

I want a simple answer for my son's well-being.  I want clarity of the true reason he "developed" PDD-NOS.  I want our life to return to the easiness of everyday activities.  And I would love to leave the complications related to the disorder behind. 

Everyone has complications and life is not simple.  Life will never be simple.  But not having the answers to the "why" is so hard for a type-A, fix-it-now type of personality. 

Hope.  Aspiration.  Optimism.  Castles in air.  Light at the end of the tunnel.  Bright side.  Faith.

Comments

  1. Hi. I'm curious as to how kids do on the doxycycline regimen when they have been exposed to Lyme. if I remember right, the treatment is 30 days, which eradicates the bacteria, eliminating any symptoms. I guess there just might be a lot of kids out there with gray teeth. I was on the Omnicef after stopping the IV rocephin. Now I just take it if I am having a flare of symptoms. Never thought to ask the doctor if this will help eradicate the bacteria though. I'll see what I can find out. Have a great eve celebrating. Sing Happy Birthday extra loud to make it sound like I'm there too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts