Why a Magic Wand?

#1: Because they are sparkly, glittery, and pretty.
#2: Who doesn't want to be a princess?
#3: Magic wands would take away all of the hurt, sadness, and hardships.

One of my most meloncholy but yet proud moments of parenting a child with Autism centered around Paige.  Her class had been studying fairy tales and the teacher had creatively asked each student, “If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for?”  Paige had responded, “that my brother would play with me.”  As I read her response, crafted meticulously on the sparkly wand that hung on the wall, my eyes flooded with tears and my heart ached for my “normal” child that was living in a world of abnormality.  The other moms laughed out loud when they read her answer, assuming it had to do with sibling rivalry, but they did not know that the answer stemmed from a place much deeper in her heart, where she longed for a brother who enjoyed reciprocal conversation and pretend play.

Comments

Popular Posts