MRI Results

Incoming call....Dr. G's nurse....felt like I needed a drum roll of some sort...

"I have good news!!  The MRI was normal!!"

First reaction.  Darn.

Second reaction.  Joy.  No tumor, no abnormalities, no inflammation.

Third reaction.  Guilt.  Why did I not scream with relief instead of initially assuming disappointment?

Fourth reaction.  Confusion.  So if this brain scan showed a neurotypical brain, with no abnormalities, no evidence of trauma, no structural differences, why can't Hunter function normally?

Fifth reaction.  Motherly love.  Huge hug for my son.

I struggled with admitting the above steps in receiving much anticipated news.  I texted Peter after I got the phone call, and he replied, "Hate to say this, but disappointing?"

As a parent, we all struggle with situations where the outcome is not what was expected.  We lose soccer games and must rekindle the enthusiasm to play again, we spend the night in the ER to stitch up accidental wounds, and we love on the kiddos when their spirits are weakened...but we are not always able to resume the previous feelings or situations.  As with stitches, the scar may eventually fade, but the original line will always be present.  We do what we can to "recover" our children.

I wanted an answer.  I wanted a resolution.  I wanted this to be clear cut. 

Even though with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, nothing is clear cut.  No two children are alike.  Even in the "normal" world, our children are all unique and have attributes that make them each special.

I don't know why we have been brought down this road and why we can't have an answer that all professionals agree upon.  I don't know how much testing and evaluating we need to do to find out if there is a master plan to the best potential recovery. 

What I do know is that I should be completely thankful and rejoicing the news that my son's brain is "normal." 

At least, according to the pictures it is.

We have an EEG scheduled for Thursday at 8 AM.  I am anticipating normal results, but we'll keep you posted.   Thank you to all our dear friends and family who have joined in this journey with us- we couldn't do it without all of your support!

Comments

Popular Posts