Up close and personal with the firemen

Last weekend, we missed the fire station open house due to Paige being ill.  She had laryngitis, a sore throat, and a bad cough.  We were bummed- the kids had a blast at this when I took Paige and Hunter a couple years ago.  Turns out we didn't need to tour...we had our own private meeting!  Thursday, after picking up Hunter from school, we headed to my office downtown to drop off some assessment tools.  On the way there, I heard a clicking noise and quickly exited the highway.  I turned left at the first light and then I started clunking down the road.  I turned right at the first corner and parked- only to discover a flat rear tire.  I called the rental company, who informed me our plan didn't cover roadside assistance.  I had to arrange for a service to come, but they told me it would be about an hour before someone could get there.  HOUR??  I let the kids out of their car seats and we explored all of the trinkets and treasures in the car.  We found a stash of the Yummy Earth suckers in my purse, so that kept Hunter content for a few minutes. 

As we were jamming to the fresh beat band, we turned to see a fire truck coming around the corner.  The driver slowed to a stop and asked if someone was coming to help us.  I told them someone would be there hopefully in an hour, and they pulled their truck over and told me they would change it.  How exciting for Hunter and Peyton (ok, and for me, too. :)).  These guys were amazing- they used their jaws of life to jack up the car and changed the tire in less than ten minutes



Our heroes!
.  When I got home, I called the fire station and asked the men if we could bring them dinner.  They had already started their own, but they said, "We love dessert!"  After dropping Paige at soccer practice, the boys and I ran to Market Street and purchased an assortment of cookies, fancy cupcakes, and apple cinnamon bread for the morning, since they were on the shift until 7 AM.  It was fun to go inside the station and watch the excitement unfold for my boys.  So fun!

Today, we went to the tire shop to replace the rental car's tire and they told me I had a screw in the tire as well as a slash from a pliers.  A pliers, I asked him??  I didn't believe it, but there it was...and I took it home to show Peter.  Unbelievable!







Just a few more pics from yesterday and today- these focus around Peyton.  He saw me eating my healthy snack of chips and salsa and wanted some...and wouldn't stop eating!  You know your son is born in Tejas when he eats this at 19 months!
He also has been loving his trains.  He likes to connect all the cars and then drag them around the track.  Thinking a train table is a necessity from Santa this year. :)


Hunter's MRI is scheduled for tomorrow at 7:30 AM, with registration at the hospital at 6:30.  Going to be an early morning!  The EEG could not be scheduled for the same day, as it has to be completed first (no anesthesia) and then he would have to still wait to eat until after the MRI.  Too hard on my little patient.

Please say a prayer for him and for the anesthesiologist, as well as the doctors and techs who will be running the procedure.  Good night!

Comments

Popular Posts