the MRI

The morning started bright and early with check-in at 6:30AM.  Well, theoretically we should have been there by 6:30, but thanks to three accidents on the highway, we didn't arrive until almost 7.  I had called from 6:30 until our arrival updating the staff at the hospital, because I didn't want them to cancel our procedure.  When we finally arrived at admitting, I questioned the person at the desk because I had never received a call back from my phone calls earlier in the week regarding benefits.  Our insurance is fabulous, however they require a pre-auth before any non-routine procedure, especially something as expensive as an MRI involving an anesthesiologist.  The receptionist checked in the system, and it listed "still pending" under our benefits.  She gave me a number to call, but told me to get to radiology before they cancelled us. 

The nurse quickly called us back to the triage area and the PA came in to start health history.  I explained the situation, and the nurse attempted to get answers on her end.  I called our insurance company and spoke to a representative who found out that the hospital didn't call for pre-auth until Thursday at 5:15 PM (for a 7:30AM procedure).  She advised me not to do the MRI, as the authorization could take up to four hours, and we could perhaps be stuck with the bill.  The anesthesiologist came in to have me sign consent, and after telling him the issue, he said told us we could be waiting around until 6 PM if they had to rework us into the schedule.  All the while, Hunter, who hadn't eaten since 6 PM the night before, sat content in his cute little hospital jammies watching Nick Jr.


Still not liking the pants yet...
The approval came around 8 AM and we were still able to get into the MRI room.  Phew!  Hunter was excited to see the big tube and long bed I had been telling him about (I told him he was going to the hospital to sleep for a bit with the nurses and doctors).  The radiology tech pulled me aside and said, "Let's go mom and not say goodbye- he seems content."  She told me I could stay to watch them put him under, but a dad had fainted that week watching it.  I used my better judgment and walked with her out to the waiting room.  She asked me a brief question, about what I wanted them to look for.  My voice wavered a bit and told her that I was hopeful they would find something that would answer the doctors' and our questions, whether inflammation or information related to the functioning of his brain.  She took my hand and said, "He will be OK.  My son is the same, and he is 23 and is loving life.  We will take care of him."  She also said that the types of MRIs available to study the brain would not all be applicable, since he was going to be under anesthesia (ex. looking at a word, telling the technicians what they saw, etc).  There would be a radiologist, however, in the observation area, directing the tech as to the types of scans they needed.  The anesthesiologist would remain there for the entirety of the procedure as well.

So as hard as it was to leave him in that big, cold room with an even bigger, louder machine that could offer valuable information as to Hunter's functioning, it was comforting to know that a mom who has experienced the same struggles that I have would be facilitating the MRI.  Not just a tech, but a mom to a child with Autism.

Peter came to meet me and we walked to the farthest Starbucks in the building and went back to wait in the radiology department.  By 9AM, they had called us back to a sleepy, groggy, curled up Hunter.  I usually think he is so big for his age, but at that moment, he looked like a little baby boy, asleep on that big hospital bed, snuggling his blankie.  We gave him little kisses and listened to the post-op nurse explain discharge information.  She told us to expect him to be a little agitated when he woke, as she heard he had a hard time accepting the mask for the anesthesia.  Sure enough, he woke with our assistance, after letting him sleep for a bit, and was not too excited to find an IV in his hand.  "Get.It.Out!!!"  The nurse had to have him drink first before taking the IV out to make sure he could tolerate liquids, as sometimes the anesthetic causes nausea.  He did fine, she took the IV out, did a quick assessment, and we were on our way to look at the trains in the lobby of the hospital.   The neurologist should be calling us by Tuesday with the results. 



He was doing so well when we got home that we even had a playdate with his buddy, Molly.  He had wanted her to come over all week, and we told him that if he felt OK, she could come that afternoon.  They had a blast pretending to have an ice cream shop, playing Headbandz, swinging outside, and playing hide and seek.  Such a sweet little girl...Hunter giggled with her all afternoon!


Daddy came home early that night, so we headed to the pool after a quick dinner.  Hunter just loves the water, and swam with Paige and Daddy back and forth in the lanes. 

Not one meltdown Friday.  So far today, not one meltdown.  Looking forward to a fun weekend of parties, soccer, and family time.  A jam-packed weekend to keep our minds off of the unknown results.


These lockers are huge!




Comments

Popular Posts