even kindergarteners can identify a big heart


Paige has been bringing home valentines from several friends this past week.  The kids have a writer's workshop where they can create anything they would like, and one little friend made this valentine for Paige.

Even  though the inside of the card had no pictures, the words spoke louder than the colorful heart on the front: "I like you.  You are nice.  You care about everybody.  You take care of your brothers."

This little girl has never been to our house. 

I don't know her parents.

We haven't attended school functions together.

But yet, she knows that Paige "takes care of her brothers."  I don't know if Paige has voiced this to the class, or if the little girl saw the way Paige interacted with Hunter and Peyton at class parties, but my mommy heart was overwhelmed with gratitude and pride for my sweet daughter who never ceases to amaze me.  

The first picture below is from about six months post-PANDAS initial insult. Hunter-2, Paige-3



And here's today...yes, they look older, and yes, things have changed dramatically, but Paige's protective arm on her little brother remains consistent.

Someday, Hunter will know the right words to thank Paige for her warm and caring heart, her unconditional love, and her acceptance for his differences.  But I have a feeling words won't even need to be spoken.  She'll know by his reciprocal interactions...and his success.  She's the best therapist any child could ask for.

Comments

  1. What a darling little girl you have raised! I hope my little girl is half as sweet as she is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts