"I can't do it!!!"""



This weekend Peter participated in a basketball shoot-out to raise money for our alma mater, Marquette University.  He took pledges based on the number of free throws he could score out of 100.  I decided at the last minute to take the kids, since Peter told me there was a small group of people in the gymnasium.

When we arrived, the kids all ran to daddy warming up on the court.  Hunter loved shooting baskets and chasing after the basketballs.






Soon it was time for the official shootout to start.  I took the kids to the sidelines and the corner, where a small hoop was set up for the kids.  Hunter watched daddy making shot, after shot, after shot...and of course we were all cheering (he ended up shooting 70 out of 100 free throws!).  Soon, Hunter started to break down and cry.  "I can't do it!  Everyone knows how to play basketball but me!  I don't know how to shoot!"  Over and over again.  I would calm him, reassure him, and even if he went to the small hoop and made it in the basket, he would return to his sobbing and repeatedly say, "I can't do it!" 





I ended up taking the kids out of the gym, since Peyton had decided to dump an entire bottle of water over his pants and stroller, and Hunter was still creating quite the scene.  The poor shooters were definetly performing under circumstances that were most likely not pleasant for them. 




After taking them to the cafeteria and having them "perform" on the stage, we looked at all the trophies and talked about the trophies that I had earned as a child and same for daddy.  I took Hunter by the hands, had him look me in the eyes, and said, "You can do anything. YOU can do ANYTHING."  I had him repeat it.  We re-entered the gym for pictures, congratulations for our amazing daddy, and a few more hoops.  While Peter was having him dunk the ball, I asked him, "Hunter, you can do....." 



"Anything!" he shouted, as he dunked the ball in the arms of his daddy. 

I hope he truly believes that he can overcome any obstacle that is standing in his way, for he will come across these challenges multiple times on the road to his recovery. 

“Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.” Gillian Anderson

No one paints a clearer picture of his statement than my son, Hunter.  And we are his biggest cheerleaders.


Comments

Popular Posts