"Mommy, did you call God?"

One of THE longest weeks of my career as a mom...Peter left very early Monday AM for Vegas and gets back tonight.  Counting the minutes!  On top of missing my husband, being a single mom with a crazy new schedule and the first week back from break has nearly snapped me in half.  Don't know how single moms do it...every meal, every bath, every bump and bruise, every argument, every car ride...Hunter's new IOP downtown has been wonderful (two days, three hours each day, with therapy for Hunter and parent training for me), but figuring out the logistics for work and daycare/rides for the other two children, not to mention driving in traffic, needed a little ironing out this week.  Now that I have it all nailed down, it should be wonderful.  Especially with extra help for the morning routine.

This week it was determined that we would need to shift his school programming for next year.  We have the option to send him to the public schools, but even though we think our district is top notch, we want to give him one more year to grow socially, increase his attention span (which is proven in studies to increase with age/time), and follow teacher directed instructions and classroom activities.  I see how Paige is excelling in kindergarten, and even though Hunter can read just about the same books that Paige can, he is nowhere near her level of social readiness.  Having an Autism Spectrum Disorder, he is already lacks in the areas of pragmatics and social language.  Even before he became sick, we had talked about holding him back since he has a summer birthday and boys mature slower than girls. 

So where to send him for his "kindergarten practice" year?  We have so many private schools in the area, some especially designed for children on the spectrum, or those with ADD/learning differences, but they come with a generous price tag.  After making a promising phone call with the director at our church's preschool, I hung up the phone and said, "Thank God!"
I looked at Hunter and said, "Mommy is so happy right now!" 

He stopped playing his game, looked up at me and said, "Why are so you happy mommy?  Did you call God?"

I burst out laughing and said, "Yes, I guess I kind of did!"

I love this sweet boy more than you could know.  And another door has opened in the road of recovery.

So yes, Hunter, I did call God.  Multiple times this week.  And he answered.

Comments

Popular Posts