Class pet, Emotional Communication, and Paige the artist

Last week we were able to spend a couple days with a special little green guy...the class pet, a frog named "Friendly." Hunter told me he wasn't allowed to jump on his bed, and was so excited to take him home.  He snuggled him the first night and brought him to his therapy the next day.  For breakfast I poured Friendly a bowl of cereal, to which Hunter proclaimed, "Mommy!  Frogs don't eat cereal!  They eat bugs!!!" Didn't have too many plans for this week, but the frog didn't mind!

I got a sweet email from Hunter's special education teacher last week as well.  I had just thought about contacting her to see how he was doing, and I opened my email to find this note...

'Today at circle time, Hunter saw a little girl walk up to me and hug me.  The next thing I hear is, “hey, what about me?” and he hops up and runs over and gives me the biggest bear hug!  It made my day and I just thought I would share. '

It's moments like those that make me almost question the appropriateness of an Autism diagnosis.  Empathy, emotional communication...not typical of a kiddo on the spectrum.  We have seen his huge heart at home and it made me so incredibly happy to see this transfer of skills to an outside environment.

Paige brought home one of her word family sets this weekend.  It was the "ap" family, and one of the words she chose was "flap."  So here are her drawings...take a wild guess...

"Flap" missing the /l/

She told me she drew Hunter flapping his arms. It made me smile and a little sad all at the same time.  We never say the word "flap" to Hunter, but she has heard it in context with a therapist, or when Peter and I talk about the day.  As most kids would have drawn a bird, or a flap on on envelope, she drew her brother's arms in movement.  Sigh.

Hunter's repetitive behaviors have actually decreased, with the desensitization therapy utilized in ABA.  He will be given a gentle touch to calm his arms, or cued to put his hands in his pockets.  From articles I have read from teenagers with Autism, they would write about feeling the need to flap, but realizing how socially inappropriate it was for them to do so.  They would flap in their bedrooms, where no one else could see them, to fulfill this sensory need. 

Paige brought this picture home from Sunday school today.  I can't get enough of these family portraits.  Do you think she believes Hunter needs a haircut?  Ha!  He's the first one, then Peyton, then me, then Paige, and finally Daddy, holding not only fish food but Lightning himself. 
We have been blessed with three different, yet so much the same, children who make us laugh and smile everyday.  Even when faced with the challenges of raising a child with special needs, we still find humor and create fun memories.  Thanks for the smiles, Paiger. :)


Comments

Popular Posts